The Permanent Mission of Turkmenistan to the UN announces the accession of the country to the Group of Friends of the UN Human Settlements Program (UN-Habitat), sustainable urbanization and the New Urban Development Agenda. The membership of Turkmenistan in the Group will open additional opportunities in the following areas:
– promotion of the project of the city of Arkadag through multilateral platforms;
- exchange of experience in the field of urban planning legislation, the study of legal methodologies and mechanisms that contribute to the sustainable development of cities;
– promotion of international activities aimed at ensuring the proper quality of housing and the sustainable development of human settlements;
- intensification of cooperation in order to improve public administration in the urban economy;
– implementation of global programs and strategies in the field of development of high-tech, environmentally friendly, disaster-resistant, socially adapted cities.
The UN Human Settlements Program is a key body in the UN system for ensuring international cooperation in the field of sustainable urban development, assisting individual countries and regions in solving the problems of human settlements and infrastructure development. Turkmenistan was a member of the Governing Council of UN-Habitat in the period 2016-2019.
Source: Turkmenistan: the Golden Age Online Newspaper