The web-based news outlet from Lebap velatar Jeyhun news reported that despite the fact that according to the official statistics, there have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus COVIS-19, Turkmenistan is introducing tightened measures to prevent the spread of the disease and the outbreak of the virus.
The following measures are being undertaken:
- Additional checkpoints have been set up around major cities, including Ashgabat. Prior to entry drivers and passengers of motor vehicles get their temperature taken;
- Print and electronic media are disseminating recommendations issued by international organizations such as WHO and UNICEF and Turkmenistan’s Ministry of Healthcare;
- Awareness raising campaigns are underway at school to educate schoolchildren about the importance of personal hygiene, especially washing hands with soap.
- The National Committee for Preventing Infectious Diseases is holding regular sessions with a view of monitoring the situation;
- From 20 March to 20 April, 2020 foreign nationals are barred from crossing the state border of Turkmenistan.
It should be highlighted that this is the first time the pro-government media outlet covers these measures. As “Chronicles of Turkmenistan” has previously reported those entering the capital have had their temperature taken since 22 March, 2020. Starting from 24 March, 2020 all sports events and athletes’ training have been cancelled in Turkmenistan and gyms and sports clubs have been shut down in Ashgabat
Source: Chronicles of Turkmenistan