Russian scientists will help Turkmen colleagues to solve the problem of land irrigation. This is stated in an article published on October 27 in the newspaper “Neutral Turkmenistan” entitled “Attention to irrigation issues.”
Ashgabat was visited by the head of the laboratory for the prevention of land desertification, doctor of agricultural sciences, professor of the Russian Academy of Sciences Elvira Dedova and senior researcher of the department of meliorative and water management complex, candidate of technical sciences Aline Buber . They held an introductory meeting with the director of the National Institute of Deserts, Plant and Animal World, candidate of biological sciences Pirli Kepbanov , heads of laboratories and scientists of the institute.
- conducting joint research to study the processes of land desertification using geographic information systems and space sounding technologies;
- development of phytomeliorative practices for restoring degraded agricultural lands and fixing sands;
- development of innovative methods and regimes for irrigating crops in conditions of regime irrigation and land salinization;
- restoration and conservation of desert tree and shrub vegetation;
- assessment of the need for water resources in the development of agriculture and the increase in agricultural production;
- management of multi-purpose reservoirs.
It should be noted that in the spring of this year, the authorities of Turkmenistan finally recognized the problem of water shortage both for irrigating the land and for the needs of the population.
On October 22, ex-president Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov , who now heads the upper house of parliament, chastised the heads of all regions of the country for shortcomings in agriculture, including systemic problems with irrigating fields.
Source: Chronicles of Turkmenistan